Review: Invisible Influences on Abortion
- Satanic Deception
Basic Biographical Information
Two Reasons for Laws
- Purpose # 1: To restrain the lawless.
- 1 Timothy 1:8–10 (ESV): 8 Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient. . .
- Purpose # 2: To show that lawfulness begins from the inside out.
- Romans 7:5 (ESV): 5 For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
- Romans 7:8 8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. . . .
- Hebrews 8:10–11 (ESV): 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 11 And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.
- Laws are limited in their ability to manage human behavior.
- Romans 1:28–32 (ESV): 28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
- The ability of laws to regulate human behavior is limited. If we over invested in them, we may do more harm than good.
- Proverbs 16:33 (ESV) – 33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.
(Experience Working as a Nurse)
Works As Witness
- Look beyond people’s faults and see their needs.
- James 2:15–16 (ESV) – 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?
- When we only judge and rebuke people who have had abortions, we often make their situations worse.
Dedicating Her Life to Birth Control
Doctrines From Sanger’s Legacy
- Myth # 1: Poor people don’t have a purpose.
- James 2:5 (ESV) – 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?
- Myth # 2: Unwanted Children don’t have a purpose
- Matthew 21:15-16 (ESV) – 15 But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying out in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” they were indignant, 16 and they said to him, “Do you hear what these are saying?” And Jesus said to them, “Yes; have you never read,“‘Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies you have prepared praise’?”
- Luke 18:15–16 (ESV) – 15 Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.
- Galatians 4:19 (ESV) – 19 my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you!
- John 16:21 (ESV) – 21 When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.
- Children are answers, not problems.
- Psalm 127: 3-5 (ESV) –3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children[a] of one’s youth. 5 Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
- Children are anecdotes.
- Myth # 3: Our fullest sexual expression is outside of God’s law.
The Power of Marketing
Revelation 12:9 (ESV) – 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
John 10:10 (ESV) – 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
2 Corinthians 11:14 (ESV) – 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
1 Timothy 4:1–2 (ESV) – Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared,
1 John 2:15 (ESV): 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
“The world is Satan’s advertising agency.”–Dr. Hart Ramsey
- Satan rebrands evil as good and death as life.
- 2 Corinthians 11:12–15 (ESV): 12 And what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.
We Are God’s Brand Ambassadors
2 Corinthians 5:20 (ESV): 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
2 Corinthians 10:3–5 (ESV) – 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
© Joshua D. Smith, Ph.D., 2022