- Most healings require personal faith.
- Some healings hinge on the faith of someone closely associated with the sick person.
- Jesus meets us at the borders of our faith.
- God will raise the dead to heal the sick.
- Raising the dead usually requires overcoming significant unbelief.
The Difference Between Doubt and Unbelief
Doubt means to be double minded.
Unbelief means to refuse to trust.
The Unbelief of Jesus’ Hometown
Mark 6:1–2 (ESV): 1He went away from there and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. 2 And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, “Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands?
Mark 6:3 (ESV): 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.
- Offense makes the soil of your heart unsuitable for spiritual growth.
- Offense prevents the Word from taking root in your heart.
- Offense is an obstacle to belief.
Mark 6:5(ESV): 5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them.
Mark 6:6 (ESV): 6 And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching.
Belief is the Result of Confidence in the Scripture
John 5:37 (ESV): 37 And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen,
John 5:38 (ESV): 38 and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent.
John 5:39-40 (ESV): 39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
- How much you trust Jesus is the proof for how much you trust the word.
Your relationship with Jesus is only as deep as the Scripture abiding in your heart.
The Word Is Your Judge
John 5:45 (ESV): 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope.
John 5:46-47 (ESV): 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”
- What is Scriptural Mediation?
- Reading, Talking, Listening, Pondering, Reflecting Day and Night
© Joshua D. Smith, Ph.D., 2023