David’s million-dollar drink of water
- I Chronicles 11:18
- The water David received was valuable because of the sacrifice and required to produce it.
- When David poured out the water, he was not being rude, but acting on a .
- This is the revelation: We can and should honor the Lord with resources of value.
Jesus’ million-dollar foot bath
- John 12:3-4
- Offering things of value to the Lord is not a waste.
A manager’s million-dollar mistake and make-over
- Luke 16:8
- Luke 16:11
A king’s million-dollar mutual fund managers
- Luke 19:20-22
- Manage does not mean maintain. Manage means .
- Maximizing involves investing, training, and calculated risk-taking.
- We must maximize the potential of the resources God has given us and then offer the of it to Him.
Seeing Resources from God’s Perspective
A resource is not only referring to money, but also to time, talent, skill and relationships.
People who wisely steward God’s resources see their bodies and minds as raw materials to be developed.
When we develop our bodies in minds in areas, we create skills that minister to God and minister to people.
Skill Refinement as Ministry
Our secular work can minister to God. (Ephesians 6:5-7)
Devotion to a craft can minister to people.
- Proverbs 22:29
- I Samuel 16:14-18
- I Samuel 17:34-36
- I Samuel 17:38-40
God Places Value on Skill in the Arts
- Psalm 33:3
- I Chronicles 25:1
- I Chronicles 25:7
- 2 Chronicles 2:1-4
- 2 Chronicles 2:5-10
- 2 Chronicles 2:11-16
A Very Important First-Time Visitor
- II Chronicles 9:3-6
- “It used to be that when people wanted to see the greatest works of beauty, they went to the church” –Barbara Nicolosi
- “Much of the art made by Christians today is not only not beautiful, but often among the ugliest art that humanity is producing” –Barbara Nicolosi
- “Can’t you see that you’re not making Christianity better, you’re just making Rock ’n’ Roll worse” —King of the Hill on Christian Rock
- Devotion to the Lord can be expressed in devotion to a .
© Joshua D. Smith, Ph.D., 2021