Why Pay Attention to Words?
Big Idea: Words continue to live beyond the time they are spoken, heard or thought.
We are held accountable for our words.
God pays attention to what we say, so we should pay attention to what we say.
There are many applications of this principle, but the emphasis of this series will be on the relationship between words, faith and results.
The Heart-Word Connection
This verse is most of what you need to know about that word of faith.
There Are Two Versions of the Word of Faith
- Version one is popular.
- Version two is practical.
- Version one is sensational.
- Version two is sober.
- Version one is about speaking and manifesting.
- Version two is about believing and resting.
- Version one is works-based
- Version two is grace-based.
- Version one is about legalistic faith absolutes.
- Version two makes room for nuance, complexity, empathy and uncertainty.
- Version one is inspired by the American Dream.
- Version two is inspired by the Heavenly Vision.
- Version one is based on what we can do.
- Version two is based on what God has done.
- Version one looks the part.
- Version two lives the part.
- Version one is easily confused with self-help and new age thinking.
- Version two is transparently aligned with God’s word.
- Version one is human-centered.
- Version two is Christ-centered.
- Version one is focused on what is created in the seen world.
- Version two is focused on what is created in the unseen world.
- Version one attracts people who walk by sight.
- Version two consists of people who walk by faith.
- Version one produces inconsistent results.
- Version two produces results that mirror God’s faithfulness.
A Shift in Focus from Speaking to Thinking
Our most important words are the ones we , not the ones we speak.
- Consider how much the Bible talks about the heart directly and indirectly.
- Recall that the ancient world saw the heart (not the brain) as the thinking center.
- Matthew 15:18–19
Thoughts are the that receive our attention.
This is why Scripture places so much emphasis on Scriptural mediation.
Scriptural Mediation: Reading, Talking, Listening, Pondering, Reflecting Day and Night
Scriptural mediation plays a significant role in the guarding of the heart (Proverbs 4:23)
In practical terms, guarding your heart means:
- Watching what you say.
- Watching what you hear.
- Watching what you think.
However, the emphasis is on thinking.
Practical Ways to Shape the Words We Think
Listen for the purpose of shaping your .
Word of faith people with insight use speech to cultivate faith and guard against doubt. They are not primarily using speech to manifest.
- When we speak God’s word, we are reminded of God’s person, power and promise.
- Speaking God’s word is a powerful way to resist the devil because the enemy’s primary weapons of warfare are (2 Corinthians 10:4–6)
Examples of Christ
Example # 1
Our first and primary record of Christ’s temptation is a battle of the mind. (Matthew 4:1–11)
- Every time Satan planted a doubt, Jesus responded with Scripture.
- Satan is not creative.
- He attacks with a predictable pattern.
- The enemy’s strategy is not to outsmart you but you.
- Once the doubt takes root, it takes on a life of its own.
- Satan will pause his attack momentarily, but then wait for another opportunity. (Luke 4:13)
- Satan will wait for when he thinks you are tired of resisting.
This first example of Christ’s temptation focuses on Satan planting doubt directly.
There are two other ways the enemy plants doubt: the flesh and the world (Ephesians 2:2–3)
Example # 2
Example # 3
Healing School with Creflo Dollar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0HeXgf3To
How to Take Possession of Your Healing (Creflo Dollar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HPiajkxIEM
What Happens When Fear Becomes Bondage (Creflo Dollar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFCJqfMsQI4
My Testimony of Divine Healing from Multiple Sclerosis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6pD61YKLY
Nona Jones: Persistence in Prayer Strengthens Your Faith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY0cak6rRgU
Healing Journeys, Week 1, Day 4 – Healed from Autism -The Gospel Truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwrSUFXcS4
Life After Autism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEuO7UiAqhs
© Joshua D. Smith, Ph.D., 2022