Will Smith Event
Today’s Message is Prophetic
The Vision Is Coming Into View
Success is a Double-Edged Sword
- One of the most difficult things to manage in ministry is .
- Success can be as much of a negative trigger as failure, disappointment and offense.
- Success often brings out the worst in people.
- Because it’s difficult to be successful and humble at the same time.
Our Success Is Imminent
- We are on a path that is leading to tremendous success.
- Don’t abandon the path when you find success.
- If you want to know what that path is, we have to look at a prophecy from the early 90s.
Prophecy from the Early 90s
- “Where’s Joshua?”
- “Little Joshua’s gone to youth church.”
- “Joshua, the word of the Lord would say unto you: You are the Joshua Generation”
- On the Church Record + Witnesses: Elevated significance to the church
- Asking where Joshua was with the expectation that he should have been there: the idea that there’s some breach in the relationship between one generation and another that needs to be closed.
- When he found out where Joshua was, he began to speak; he didn’t ask someone to go get him: the responsibility was on the adult audience to get the message to Joshua, not the prophet himself.
- A prophecy delivered via audio tape to a live audience: a word for me but to us.
- Joshua = Joshua Generation: this is about a metaphor
- The Double Joshua: like “verily, verily” it was emphatic and authoritative
- A prophecy delivered at the adult church, not at home or youth church: related to pastoral role
- An obscure message to the 15-year-old: a message to the future Joshua, not the then-present Joshua
The Deuteronomy Parallel
Deuteronomy is an address to a future Israel, explaining things that would make the most sense once they were in the promise land.
- Deuteronomy 6:4–5
- We must go back to the devotion of our spiritual ancestors, the founding members of this church
- Seeking God together
- Students of the Word
- Deuteronomy 12:8–10
- Hebrews 4:1-3
- Hebrews 4:7-8
Remember (Deuteronomy 8:17–18
“then you will have good success” OR (“may act wisely”)
This is not a personal prosperity gospel.
This is not a promise that God will bless your personal ambition.
This is about identifying the path that God has already paved for you.
The road map is His word (written and spoken)
Our Job: Hear and obey.
The Vision, An Extended Word of Wisdom
The vision is what happens when we listen and apply the wisdom of God’s Word.
This is not individual, but communal
Wisdom That Becomes Worshipful and Evangelistic
- Deuteronomy 4:5–8
- The natural extension of the principles we apply in the church to the broader secular community.
- Compared to the Greeks
The Education We Receive Here Will Be Compared to An Ivy League Education
A Hidden Well of Innovation
2 Chronicles 16:7–9
The language of Innovation
Global and Multilingual
Pool of Bethesda
The Big Three
- Arts and Entertainment
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Science and Technology
- The Holy Spirit is our Vibranium
- Wisdom for handling Klaue
- Proverbs 24:17-20
Turning Down Great Offers for God Offers
House of Prayer
- Mark 11:17
Don’t Be Arrogant
- Deuteronomy 7:7–10
Be Confident (in the Lord)
To Whom Much is Given, Much Is Required
- Luke 12:48
Defying Default Positions
© Joshua D. Smith, Ph.D., 2022