What is this Battle?
Romans 7:18-20 (NKJV) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
We are fighting a very real, natural, automatic part of our humanity. And if you’re not actively training, developing, equipping and sharping your spiritual man, you’re compromised.
SECTION #1: WHAT IS THE BATTLE
Who is this Battle?
As human beings we were created as triune beings:
- Body (5 senses)
- Soul (Mind, will, and emotions)
- Spirit (Conscious, belongs to God)
Where Does the Battle Take Place?
It’s in the soul, in our thoughts, will and emotions.
The ultimate goal is to have each aspect of you be transformed by the blood of Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NKJV) “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify[a] you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
SECTION #2: THE STORY OF SIN IN HUMANITY (THE FLESH UNFOLDED)
Why are we in this battle?
Genesis 2:16-17 (NKJV) “And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
Man’s disobedience against God (man’s sin) caused a direct sever in their access, fellowship, communion with God almighty.
Romans 6:23 (NKJV) For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Revelation 21:3-4 (NKJV) 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
That means there will be a day with no more sin. God has a plan to completely eradicate sin and death, but the goal is not just to eradicate death but to RESTORE fellowship between His people and Himself.
God knew how destructive and how devastating sin would be and how it would affect his relationship with His creation. So from the very beginning of the book He set a plan in motion to redeem YOU. You have been on God’s mind from the beginning.
Freedom from Death (Jesus)
2 Corinthians 5:12 (NKJV) For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
2 Corinthians 5:15 (NKJV) and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
Sin is not natural, our bodies were not created to act in defiance towards God. The sinful nature pulls you further from who you are.
Being a human in the image of Invisible God is the denial of sin and self and full submit to God Almighty.
SECTION #3: HOW TO WIN THE WAR WITHIN?
How to Win the War Within the Soul?
- Identity in Christ (New Believer)
- Matthew 4:1-11 (Temptation of Jesus) i. Test #1 – Test of Trust/Confidence in the Father ii. Test #2 – Test of God’s Love and Commitment to His children iii. Test #3 – Test of Jesus’ Destiny
- You are a new creation in Christ i. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
- Isaiah 14:13-14 (NKJV) (Satan’s Fall) You said in your heart ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds I will make myself like the Most High.’
- Galatians 6:1-4 (NKJV) Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
3. Maintaining an Environment for the Spirit
- Paul’s Conversion (Galatians 1:11-24)
Galatians 1:15-17 (NKJV) But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, 16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days.
i. Nurture an environment for the Spirit to Grow
ii. Romans 12:2 – Transformation occurs by the Renewing of our minds
a. To believe we are new requires faith
b. Speaking the gospel over yourself reminds/confirms our faith on what took place, and what was purchased for us on the cross.
The Word of God Keeps Us from Sin
1 John 3:4-6 (NKJV) Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.
Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV) “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
© Ravyn Woodard, 2022