Genesis 3:8-13 ESV
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done? ”The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
Genesis 3:1-3 NIV
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”
- It’s not about your truth, it’s about THE TRUTH. Jesus.
- Be careful not to distort God’s word
3 Scriptures That Tell Us About Adding or Taking Away from God’s Word
- Moses talking to the Israelites Deuterotomy 4:1-2 NIV
- We are warned about the book of Revelation. Revelation 22:18-19 NIV
- Agur in Proverbs 30:5-6 NIV “Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
Genesis 3:4 NIV
“You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.
- We can talk at the devil, but don’t have a conversation with him
- We overcome satan by the power of Jesus Christ
Genesis 3:5-6 NIV
5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
- If satan doesn’t couple it with some truth, there is little power in his temptation
Genesis 3:7 NIV
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
- Don’t hide, confess to Jesus and allow Him to cover you
Proverbs 28:13 NIV
“Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.”
© Pastor Kenna Pettaway, 2023